Monday, April 20, 2009

yummmm!

Someone come over and make this with me after I'm back from New York. I'll show you my pretty new tattoo and try to not peel into the pie (GROSS!)

My mom bought me a TON of matzo. like a case. I don't know how to eat it except to put earth balance on it, and that might be gross (is it? at least it's not veganaise, right?) so I'm totally trying this:


[from fat free vegan... (even though i LOVE fats)]

Spinach-Matzo Pie

Spinach-Matzo Pie
(printer-friendly version)

1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and most liquid squeezed out
1 8-ounce package Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, divided
3/4 cup soy milk, divided
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
14 ounces extra-firm tofu (one 14-16 ounce pkg.)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons kalamata olives, minced
1 pinch cayenne
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
black pepper, to taste
6 matzos (about 6 inches square)
1/2 cup pine nuts
olive oil spray

Spray a non-stick pan with olive oil. Heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach and cook, stirring, until hot. Then add 1/2 of the Tofutti and 1/4 cup milk, stir until well blended, and remove from heat.

Put the remaining Tofutti into a blender along with the rest of the soy milk and the nutmeg. Blend until smooth. Set aside.

Mash the tofu well with a potato masher. Add the nutritional yeast, oregano, lemon juice, kalamata olives, cayenne, and cumin. Mix well, then add it to the pan with the spinach. Stir until combined and then add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.

Place two of the matzos in the bottom of the baking pan. Pour about 1/4 cup of the Tofutti mixture over them and use a brush to coat the matzos well. Cover with half of the spinach. Put two more matzos over the spinach, coat with another 1/4 cup of Tofutti mixture, and top with remaining spinach. Put the final two matzos on top, cover with the remaining Tofutti, and sprinkle with pine nuts. Spray lightly with olive oil.

Bake uncovered for about 20-30 minutes, until golden and set. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Makes 8 servings:

2 comments:

Megan Galante said...

I didn't know you were in ny!

hannah rené said...

Let me know when you're free this week! I have so so much spinach I need to use and I miss cooking with you all the time!